Our Student/Parent Handbook is intended as a resource for students and parents. The handbook contains school information such as staff information, school policies and procedures, and general information pertaining to every-day life at Calaveras Hills High School, while our Advisory Handbook is a tool to help students track their progress towards graduation.
How to Earn Credit
PRODUCTIVE PERIODS VS UNPRODUCTIVE PERIODS
What is a Productive Period?
A productive class period is essential to succeed at Cal Hills. A productive period suggests a student is participating in class, completing the classwork assigned, and showing good behavior towards teachers, staff and other students.
What is an Unproductive Period?
Unproductive periods are detrimental to a student's success at Cal Hills. What constitutes an unproductive period is if a student refuses to do classwork or participate in class activities or displays disrespectful behavior towards teachers, staff and other students.
Other Ways to Earn Credit
- Credit Contracts (Contracts are either Productive work hour based or Competency based) – students contract with teachers to complete work and projects over and above classroom assignments. Ask teachers at Cal Hills, including those that are not your current teacher.
- Work Experience – (15 hours = 1 credit) Students obtain a work permit from the attendance secretary and applies for credits through our Work Experience Teacher. Bring in your pay stub to Ms. Quiroz.
- School Athletic Teams (up to 3.0 credits)
- Career and College Day Assignment (1.0 credit) student arranges with advisor
- Senior Accelerated Program (SAP-formerly known as SEM) - student arranges with their advisor – possibility to earn over 40 credits in English, Mathematics, Science and Social science.
- SWAG (Seniors with Achievable Goals) - a semester long course that offers students an additional 2.5 credits for the second quarter.
- Student Programs, e.g. Student Council, Various Clubs, etc. (up to 1.0 credit) - student arranges with advisor
- Adult Education – Up to 20 credits can be earned in adult education for courses that students have previously failed. Students sign up for adult education classes through their advisor. Courses include; English, mathematics, algebra, geometry, history, science, economics, American Government, art, drawing, etc. 1:45 – 3:45 p.m. – Monday-Thursday (Cal Hills students only) 4:00 – 6:00 p.m. – Monday-Thursday 6:30 – 9:30 p.m. – Tuesday & Thursday
- SVCTE (Silicon Valley Career Technical Education-Formerly known as CCOC)– vocational training program.
- Community College Courses – students arrange with counselor in Counselor’s office. Local community colleges include Mission College, De Anza, and San Jose City. Students at Cal Hills are eligible for reduced admission “Current enrollment.” Earn up to 10 credits at Cal Hills per college course.
- CROP class allows students to earn up to 10 credits per quarter.
- Summer School- Students can make up 10 credits of previously failed classed as part of MUSD's summer school program.
- Fly Program- Students earn 5 credits for attending a class on Wednesdays on the criminal justice system and student rights.
- Naviance Student - Complete various lessons available in the Naviance platform.
SILCON VALLEY CAREER TECHNICAL EDUCATION
This program is available to all students. The SVCTE campus is located at 760 Hillsdale Avenue in San Jose. Transportation is provided for participating students. Vocational classes are offered to our students who wish to prepare for entry level employment in conjunction with high school graduation.
Students are required to enroll in at least four classes at Cal Hills in the morning and attend SVCTE in the afternoon. However, the cosmetology program located at individual beauty schools are to provide their own transportation. See your advisor or counselor for more information or application process.
ODYSSEYWARE CONTRACTS REQUIREMENTS
*For all contract work 2 credits or greater, students need to complete Odysseyware.
*Students must have and maintain 85% attendance when doing a contract.
Learn more about the courses at the Odysseyware Course Catalog.
Cal Hills' Odysseyware Course Catalog
English Fundamentals 1-4
Integrated Math 1
Integrated Math 2
Integrated Math 3
Personal Financial Literacy
Personal & Family Living
GET CREDITS FOR WORKING
Work experience is a great opportunity to earn credits! You earn 1 credit for every hour of work to a maximum 10 credits per year. You must bring the paystubs to Ms.Q for credit
STEP TO GETTING WORK PERMIT
1. Get a job + have 80% attendance or higher
2. Pick up work permit from front counter in office
3. Fill out Box 2 + have parent/guardian
4. Have your new boss fill out Box 1
5. Bring form back to office to get approval: from Mr. Stice
6. Take completed permit to your new job + start working
CURRENT AND FUTURE EMPLOYERS OF CAL HILLS STUDENTS
20th century Cinemarks in the Great Mall
Starbucks (apply online)
Kohl's (Beauty associates)
ABOUT TO GRADUATE?
Don't forget to transfer your files from your @student account before our account is deactivated! Check out Takeout!
CLASS OF 2020 VIDEO ARCHIVES
Calaveras Hills High School
1331 E. Calaveras Blvd. Building 300
Milpitas, CA 95035
408.635.2690 Phone | 408.635.2615 Fax
Milpitas Unified School District
1331 E. Calaveras Blvd.
Milpitas, CA 95035